Texas Guardianship Law
PROCEDURE TO APPOINT GUARDIAN FOR CERTAIN MINORS REQUIRING GUARDIANSHIPS AS ADULTS
TEXAS ESTATES CODE, TITLE 3. SUBTITLE D. CHAPTER 1103.
Sec. 1103.001. APPLICATION FOR APPOINTMENT OF GUARDIAN.
Not earlier than the 180th day before the proposed ward's 18th birthday, a person may file an application under Section 1101.001 for the appointment of a guardian of the person or estate, or both, of a proposed ward who:
(1) is a minor; and
(2) because of incapacity will require a guardianship after the proposed ward is no longer a minor.
Sec. 1103.002. APPOINTMENT OF CONSERVATOR AS GUARDIAN WITHOUT HEARING.
(a) Notwithstanding any other law, if the applicant who files an application under Section 1101.001 or 1103.001 is a person who was appointed conservator of a disabled child and the proceeding is a guardianship proceeding described by Section 1002.015(1) in which the proposed ward is the incapacitated adult with respect to whom another court obtained continuing, exclusive jurisdiction in a suit affecting the parent-child relationship when the person was a child, the applicant may present to the court a written letter or certificate that meets the requirements of Sections 1101.103(a) and (b).
(b) If, on receipt of the letter or certificate described by Subsection (a), the court is able to make the findings required by Section 1101.101, the court, notwithstanding Subchapter C, Chapter 1104, shall:
(1) appoint the conservator as guardian without conducting a hearing; and
(2) to the extent possible preserve the terms of possession and access to the ward that applied before the court obtained jurisdiction of the guardianship proceeding.
Sec. 1103.003. EFFECTIVE DATE OF GUARDIANSHIP.
If the application filed under Section 1103.001 is heard before the proposed ward's 18th birthday, a guardianship created under this chapter may not take effect and the person appointed guardian may not take the oath as required under Section 1105.051 or give a bond as required under Section 1105.101 until the proposed ward's 18th birthday.
Sec. 1103.004. SETTLEMENT AND CLOSING OF PRIOR GUARDIANSHIP.
Notwithstanding Section 1202.001(b), the guardianship of the person of a minor who is the subject of an application for the appointment of a guardian of the person filed under Section 1103.001 is settled and closed when:
(1) the court, after a hearing on the application, determines that the appointment of a guardian of the person for the proposed ward is not necessary; or
(2) the guardian appointed by the court, after a hearing on the application, has qualified under Section 1105.002.